Today I’m am proud to be a Marylander! Maryland came through this cycle early and strong. We elected Chris Van Hollen to the Senate and look forward to working with him as our new Senator. We are so proud to have such a hard working advocate of Maryland and Democrats around the Nation. He might have a battle ahead, but we have no doubt that he will be awesome.
We also re-elected Congressman Elijah Cummings, Congressman John Sarbanes, and Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger by huge margins. The three of them have been the ideal representatives and we are so proud to have the three of them back in Congress.
I’m extremely proud of our Howard County Democrats. We came out in record numbers and can point to the following:
- Howard County Democratic vote for President increased by 3% from 2012 to 2016. The second highest increase in the state of Maryland.
- Howard County Republican votes for the Republican Nominee decreased by 7.8%, the highest decrease in the state of Maryland.
- Howard County had the largest margin of votes for Hillary in the state with a 2 to 1 margin.
- Howard County percentage of Hillary votes were at 62.7%, well above the Maryland 59.5% totals.
- Howard County voters supported Question A, the referendum to keep big money out of local politics, with a 52% to 47% vote.
What impressed me most, were the hundreds of amazing volunteers that worked endless hours. We had canvassers in Maryland and Pennsylvania any given weekend. We had phone banks out of our office 5 days a week for the last few weeks. We had dozens of volunteers bring signs to our polling sites and even more working at the polls with our Sample Ballot. We have proven in Howard County that Love Trumps Hate!
With so much enthusiasm this election, we hope that you will continue to stay involved. We have another very important round of elections in 2018. In two years, we must elect a Democratic Governor that works for all the people of Maryland. We must elect a Democratic County Executive that works collaboratively with our Council Members to draft laws that work for the people of Howard County and not for Developers. We must retain our Democratic seats on the County Council, State Senate, and State Representatives and work to win a few back from the Republicans. This starts TODAY! We need you to stay engaged, volunteer to build our coalition, and make our Democratic Party the best it can be for ALL the people.
Anne Frank said, “How Wonderful it is that nobody need to wait a single moment before starting to improve the World.” That moment is now!
With sincere appreciation,
Abby Hendrix, Chair