On July 14, 2018, Howard County Democrats came together for their Democratic Unity Breakfast. These events historically bring all Democratic primary candidates that both won and loss during the campaign season together in an effort to move the party forward. Speeches were given by several elected officials and candidates including:
- U.S. Senator Ben Cardin
- U.S. Congressman John Sarbanes
- U.S. Congressman Elijah Cummings
- MD Attorney General Brian Frosh
- Chair of the MD Democratic Party, Kathleen Matthews
- Candidate for Lt. Governor of MD, Susan Turnbull
- State Senator for District 13, Guy Guzzone
- Candidate for HoCo Executive, Councilman Dr. Calvin Ball
This event is also significant as this is the time the Central Committee (CC) facilitates the transfer of power between the old CC and the incoming CC. Former HCDCC Chair, Abby Hendrix, called for a final meeting of the old CC and then called for the new central committee to elect its new chair, which Maureen Evans Arthurs soon assumed.
Democrats left the event energized and ready to battle for November. As Brian Frosh noted during his remarks, “it’s time to make our Governor Jealous!” Indeed it is Brian. Indeed it is. Let’s also remember we need #Ball4All and have to turn Democrats out to make Calvin Ball our next County Executive!
The blue wave is coming. Watch out. #forward